Friday, January 15, 2010

Void Your Nokia 5800 Warranty (But you get the v40 firmware)

I recently bought a Nokia 5800 phone. I am very happy with the features and the capabilities. I once had a 21-hour session with the phone just to discover its limits.

Just this week, the Nokia 5800 firmware update v40.0.005 was released. Exciting new features include:
  • 5530 homescreen
  • kinetic scrolling (dream come true for most users including yours truly)
  • QWERTY-landscape/multi-tap-portrait auto change
  • plus a host of other programs
The whole blogging community was abuzz with this long-awaited update and I'm sure many have already tried downloading the update.
The bad news is: it is available only to a limited number of phone products...
I am from the Philippines. I recently bought my phone and I was so excited that the Asia Pacific (APAC) region was included in their update list! I tried connecting over-the-air and was disappointed to see that the update was not yet available. So I connected my phone to my computer via PC suite and tried updating from there... NO UPDATE AVAILABLE!!!

I'm desperate, I'm excited, I'm confused.

Yes, the Philippines was included in the update but not all Nokia 5800 products are included. You see, Nokia gave different product codes for the same 5800 model. Unfortunately, mine is not included in the list of product codes capable of downloading the firmware update.

But I want the update! I looked around and I found the solution here.

DRAWBACK: You WILL void your warranty. If you don't know what you're doing, I take no responsibility for turning your phone into an expensive paperweight.

Now I have the v40.0.005 firmware update and I am extremely happy with it!!! Never mind the warranty, haha!

10 comments:

  1. i changed the product code... my phone is the gray 5800 so i changed my product code to 0591826. this is the ONLY product code available specifically for the philippines. i am fortunate enough to have bought the gray one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I'm still a bit confused on how this works. I also bought the gray version this month. I tried updated over-the-air, but it says there's no update available yet. I guess you're right that Nokia releases the updates depending on the product code.

    I think I'll just wait for the update for my product code. I'm too scared of my fone being bricked or losing the warranty.

    Thanks so much for the info, though. :)
    I just hope the update comes soon for my product code. :)

    Oh yeah, how do I find out what my product code is? haha. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Red:

    Your product code is located inside your phone and it is covered by your battery. so remove your back cover and battery and you should see a sticker containing your product code. it usually starts with "05..."

    ReplyDelete
  4. sir. ano po yung original product code mo? sir, 1 year plus na phone ko. so void na yung 1 year warranty, so pwede naba akong mag change product code nang hindi iniintindi yung warranty ko?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @anonymous (march 18)
    yep. you can safely change your product code using the NSS program. please follow the instructions CAREFULLY! if your nokia is NOT GRAY, then please look for the euro product codes instead... my original product code is 0583152 (located just below the nokia logo). here are some nokia product codes capable of the V40 upgrade. BUT i am NOT guaranteeing anything:
    0573784: APAC1 Black
    0559950: APAC1 BLUE
    0559476: APAC1 RED
    0573788: APAC2 AU Black
    0559958: APAC2 AU BLUE
    0559668: APAC2 AU RED
    0559953: APAC2 BLUE
    0570203: APAC2 BLUE SOUTH ASIA
    0591827: APAC2 GUN and BLACK AUSTRALIA
    0591826: APAC2 GUN and BLACK PHILIPPINES
    0591834: APAC2 GUN and BLACK SOUTH ASIA
    0570204: APAC2 RED SOUTH ASIA
    0586817: Euro1-ALPS Navi
    0588816: Euro1-France Navi
    0573738: Euro1 ALPS Black
    0559368: Euro1 ALPS BLUE
    0559054: Euro1 ALPS RED
    0592281: EURO2
    0573740: Euro2 Black
    0559372: Euro2 BLUE
    0586819: Euro2 Navi
    0559066: Euro2 RED
    0593496: EURO3
    0573761: Euro3 Black
    0559394: Euro3 BLUE
    0559298: Euro3 RED

    APAC means asia pacific.
    EURO codes are generic product codes and should include the english language. but remember that I HAVE NOT TRIED IT.

    ReplyDelete
  6. sir.. magkakaroon pa rin po ba ng updates para dun sa mga phone na hindi nag change ng product code? natatakot kasi akong mawala ung warranty e..8 1/2 months palang kasi :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. there have been rumors about the philippines getting an update soon. but i guess nokia has a different definition for the word "soon"...

    i voided my warranty in 20 days because of this. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  8. my 5800xm is from spain bought 3wks ago. and its made in hungary. pero asa phl aq kz pndla lng skin 2 possible kya na pwde n sa phone q ung V40? My current Version is V31.0.101

    ReplyDelete
  9. yep. you can safely change it to v40 via the NSS program. if it's from spain, you can use the following product codes (choose the right color ok?):

    0573738: Euro1 ALPS Black
    0559368: Euro1 ALPS BLUE
    0559054: Euro1 ALPS RED

    ReplyDelete
  10. CurrentLy updating my firmware from 31.0.101 to 50.0.005 using Nokia Software Updater. ^^

    ReplyDelete